The CFO will provide actionable finance leadership to the company. As s/he will be a “business partner” to the CEO, and act as a coach and finance mentor to other senior team members and the finance staff, the CFO must be a service-based processional to the business. S/he will have oversight of and responsibility for the finance and accounting, and risk management areas of the company, supporting the company’s two business units. The successful candidate will be very hands-on, working closely with the other members of the senior leadership team in executing California Olive Ranch’s aggressive growth strategy while supporting a collaborative, highly accountable culture.
Perform timely and insightful financial and operational analyses, and present the related data, information, and reports to the senior management team for review, decision-making, and action
Lead the department effort to implement a comprehensive financial reporting structure in an environment of rapid growth and tight process / application integration
Analyze short and long-range trends to assess and project company prospects for future growth in revenues and market share, and opportunities for expansion
Manage and oversee cash flow by developing and implementing best practices for cash management, revenue and expense forecasting, tax strategies, system innovations and conversions, and cost savings
Maintain all financial books and records, and oversee the annual audit of the company’s financial statements and all interim reviews of the books and records by independent accountants.
Develop policies, procedures and controls to ensure that planning, budgeting, and reporting are of the highest quality and in conformance with GAAP
Manage banking, capital and investor relationships. Work with banks, institutions and/or investment bankers to raise additional capital as required for expansion.
Develop, and manage top-tier, service-focused finance and accounting functions.
Provide mentorship to key members of the finance and accounting staff; assist staff with prioritization of tasks; and act as a conduit for communication and requests from other departments
Other Position Parameters
· The role reports to the CEO.
· The position is supported by a team of twelve, two of whom are direct reports.
· The post is located in the greater Chico, CA area.
· Travel will include some infrequent travel within the United States and internationally.
Ideal Candidate Profile
· Minimum ten years experience (five in management) with increasing responsibility in finance and accounting, including five years in food or consumer packaged goods sectors; a mix of large and mid-market companies.
· Experience with emerging brands is preferable, as is some knowledge of agriculture.
· Thorough knowledge of public and private debt and equity markets, financing structuring and M&A
· Designed and implemented comprehensive integrated business processes and systems
· Experience in and deep knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles including GAAP. Knowledge of federal and state, sales and use, and property taxation.
· Automated financial and accounting reporting systems experience, ideally including Microsoft Navision
· A track record of working closely with functional leadership in all areas, and a deep understanding of the issues and dynamics in those areas in an operating company.
· Deep knowledge and experience in financial planning and strategy, managing profitability, forecasts and developing budgets.
· A team focus and orientation, as evidenced by success both as a team member and team leader
· Strong analytical aptitude and mind set.
· Solid understanding of how technology can be used to improve efficiency and drive out costs.
· Superior judgment to quickly prioritize opportunities and build consensus upon them
· Outstanding listening, written, and oral communications, presentation and interpersonal skills that introduce and convey complex financial concepts in understandable terms. Communicates effectively with all stakeholders.
Personal characteristics required
· Highest integrity
· Ability to inspire and generate trust with all stakeholders.
· True hands-on style and approach, with high physical and intellectual energy, and a robust entrepreneurial spirit with a “never give up” tenacity.
· Passion for what s/he does and a desire to learn about COR’s business and the olive and olive oil industries.
· Steady leadership capacities that inspire loyalty and reflect a straightforward tenor to interpersonal relations and a collaborative attitude and approach toward interacting with colleagues across the organization.
Education: BS/BA degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or related field required; MBA or CPA preferred.